Sarah began her legal career at a small boutique firm in Kansas City where she represented both individual clients and a public school district, and became proficient in litigating from both sides of the bar. This balance of practice not only gave her a great insight into both Plaintiff and Defense work, but also reaffirmed her desire to represent individuals against entities that have caused irreparable harm. Sarah works tirelessly to achieve resolution for her clients who have suffered tremendous damages, both physical and emotional.
Sarah is focused on implementing institutional change and policy/practice overhaul to root out sexual abuse in schools, sports and churches. Sarah’s most notable cases include violations of Title IX, monetary recovery against immune and insolvent defendants, pleading novel interpretations of the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (TVPRA) and recovery for clients under state statutory Human Rights Acts. Sarah considers representation of these courageous survivors her greatest professional achievement.
As a Partner at Sharp Law, Sarah litigates in federal and state courts across the country in other areas of law, including class and mass actions involving consumer protection, antitrust, civil RICO claims and mineral underpayment cases on behalf of royalty owners.
Sarah is also very involved locally and in the Bar. Sarah has worn many hats on the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association and currently serves on the committee for the Foundation’s Student Law Academy. She supports several charities around Kansas City, but most near and dear to her heart are the Midwest Innocence Project and Sheffield Place, a local shelter which empowers mothers and their children to heal from trauma by providing them tools for self-sufficiency.
Sarah has been named a Super Lawyers Kansas/Missouri Rising Star since 2019.
- Sarah was appointed by Hon. Joy Flowers Conti in the Western District of Pennsylvania to serve on the Leadership Development Committee, for attorneys new to the practice of Multidistrict Litigation, in In Re SoClean Marketing, Sales Practices & Products Liability Litigation, for her nationwide representation of a putative class of consumers of CPAP cleaning devices.
- Sarah has represented elite athletes against the U.S. Olympic Committee and its National Governing Bodies (including USA Taekwondo and USA Diving) involving federal claims under the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (TVPRA) and negligence-based state law claims. These lawsuits have been repeatedly profiled in the New York Times, Washington Post, NPR, and several other national media publications. In their case against USA Taekwondo in federal court in Colorado, Sarah and the team have made new law on the statute of limitations and the enterprise theory of liability against institutional defendants who benefit from forced labor and services.
- Sarah and co-counsel also represent more than 100 men who were sexually assaulted as students at Ohio State University, by a University physician over the course of nearly 20 years.
- Sarah currently represents Kevin Braney, a man who was abused as a child by clergy, is now an advocate for survivors and was instrumental in the movement to pass legislation that became the Child Victims Act of New York. Kevin now sits as the Chair of the Unsecured Creditors Committee against the Diocese of Syracuse. In July 2023, the Committee and Diocese reached a historic settlement of $100 million.
- Sarah represents a putative class of parents who purchased toxic baby food for their children, in a RICO claim—a case prominently featured in news outlets across the world, and exposed by the U.S. Congress, in its February 2021 report “Baby Foods Are Tainted with Dangerous Levels of Arsenic, Lead, Cadmium, and Mercury.”
- Western District of Missouri
- District of Kansas
- District of Colorado
- Northern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America™ – Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Plaintiffs (2024)
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, Missouri & Kansas, 2019, 2022
- KCMBA Bar Leadership Academy, 2016
- Missouri Lawyers Media Up & Coming Award, 2022
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Section (YLS)
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys
- Association for Women’s Lawyers
- Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
Civic and Volunteer Activities
- KCMBF Student Law Academy Board
- Former KCMBA YLA Board of Directors
- Former YLS Social and Public Service Chair
- Former Sheffield Place Board Member